#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Son


Jackson is bigger than most of the kids his age (so is Rebecca, but this is not a blog about my insecurities :). He will push and shove as much as the next boy, but it is amazing to see the gentle spirit that the Lord has given him. He is empathetic and sweet. I went to visit my friend and her new baby a few months ago. I put the kids in the car and went back in for my cell phone. I got stuck talking to my girlfriend at the door and when I got back in the car, the baby was crying. I looked at Jackson to apologize and he was sitting there with tears stoically streaming down his face. He felt so bad that the baby was unhappy! When she cries in the car, he will look over and say, "It's okay, baby. It's okay, baby". Sometimes, he'll get frustrated and yell, "IT"S OKAY, BABY!" Kids are so funny. One aspect of being a stay-at-home mom is getting to see your child's personality mold and grow. What an amazing encouragement and reward from the Lord.

Beau and I were talking about Jackson's emerging personality tonight. We had a rough day of disobedience/discipline and Beau was encouraging me to stay the course. He pointed out that the command that God gives us is to use the rod- not reasoning, not time-outs, not toy deprivation. It is hard to see the value in using the rod while in the moment, but I certainly see how profitable consistent discipline is over the long run. Jackson's personality and character are the better for it. Why should I be surprised? The Lord certainly has infinite wisdom that He shares with us in His Word.

I hope I keep blogging and I can read these anecdotes about my children when I am very old.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails