My sweet friend Lindsay decided she wanted to make a onesie cupcake tower for a shower we are throwing together. We looked online and were hardpressed to find a photo tutorial for what we wanted to do. We did read this webpage to get an idea of how to make our onesie cupcakes, but we wanted to put into pictures just how we did this cupcake tower. Want to play?
12 onesies (the cuter, the better!)
12 bitty rubber bands
12 safety pins
12 assorted colored pom poms
12 jumbo cupcake wrappers
1. Lay your onesie flat.
2. Fold the sleeves inward. You can use a short-sleeved or long-sleeved onesie, but I assume the short-sleeves fold a little easier!
3. Fold the onesie in half.
4. Fold in in half again.
5. Securely grab one end of the onesie. Slowly roll it up like a burrito. Not too tight, not too loose.
6. Hold onto the onesie while a friend hands you a teeny rubber band (we used Rebecca's stash of itty bitty clear rubber bands from the 250 pack at Walmart)
7. Snap that band on like you mean it.
8. Nice! It looks like a rolled onesie!
9. Thread a pom pom ontot he end of a one-inch safety pin.
10. Find the center of the roll and slide the safety-pinned pom pom in like a cherry on top.
11. Pull the middle layers up a bit to look like swirled frosting.
12. Wow. Our demo is actually the funkiest looking cupcake. Play around with them until you get what you like.
13. Place each onesie inside a jumbo white cupcake wrapper to complete the effect. You could wrap the outside with a nice grosgrain ribbon for an extra aesthetic. Piled up on the cupcake tower, they make a lovely centerpiece!
Great idea, Lindsay! Check back soon, blogfriends, so you can read about Lindsay's new Etsy shop...she upcycles onesies into cool customwear for babies.