#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Monday, February 27, 2012

A Baby Story

Chase Bronson Woodward
February 23, 2012
8 pounds, 4 ounces
21.5 inches long
The last few weeks of pregnancy were miserable. I felt like I might get to have the baby at any moment just because it was my fourth pregnancy, but there were no real signs of impending labor.

My due date came and went with no activity at all, and I actually had to go into the bathroom before church started and cry because people kept saying, "still no baby?". They were just being friendly conversationalists, but I was maxed out physically and emotionally. I am sure all mommies can relate!

The Tuesday after I was due, I went in for a "non-stress test" to see if the baby was ok- which he was!- and to get a check-up by the Physician's Assitant, as my doctor was in surgery all day. That visit left me frustrated and irritated. The PA had no personality or bedside manner, and she informed me that I was still dilated to a ONE! I had to make an appointment to come back the next day to see my doctor and have an ultrasound to check my fluid levels.

So after getting a doughnut to console myself, I had to go home and pray about my terrible attitude and my reluctance to trust God's timing. God reminded me through Scripture that He requires that I walk humbly with Him, not in front of Him.

Then I went into labor at midnight.

I felt like my water might have broken around midnight, and I had a contraction that woke me up. I was able to go back to sleep until 1 am, when I was awakened again by a big contraction. Rebecca had gotten into bed with us, so I was able to slip out into the living room unnoticed. I labored in the living room for about an hour, resting in between. At three, I realized I may actually have to go to the hospital soon, so I got in the shower. It felt amazing! It helped the intensity of the contractions. I laid down in Rebecca's empty bed after the shower until Beau came in to return her to bed at 4. My contractions were regular and intense at that point, so I told him I was in labor and would come get him when I needed him. It was so nice to get to go through the contractions in the quiet dark of my own house instead of the bright hospital.

At 4:18, I had two contractions in a row and realized I should call my dad to come stay with the big kids. He got there at 4:45, and I was hanging onto the washing machine for dear life at that point. I'm pretty sure I snapped at Beau for brewing a pot of coffee during that time. Whoops.

Beau laid me in the backseat of the Hummer and we began our painful, bumpy journey to the hospital, 5 minutes away from the house. Beau prayed for us on the way there, and as he parked, I felt like I might need to start pushing! On the way in, I had a contraction at the light post, and then one on the floor of the lobby, which is locked at 5 in the morning!

Two nurses met us at the elevator with a wheelchair and rushed us up to the Triage room, where they changed my clothes and checked to confirm that I was certainly at a 10. That was 5:02 a.m. The nurses shouted at each other to call Dr. Kaneen, and I was yelling that I needed to push. They told me to wait, that he was coming too fast- wait for the doctor. Beau held my hand and told me to pant, which I tried to do. All of the sudden, Dr. Kaneen was there and I was told I could push. Oh, thank the Lord! So I gave one big push, and the whole head came out....then the rest of his body in the same push! I couldn't believe it! He was put on my chest and I got to see my big, purple baby. That was 5:19 a.m. Later, Beau said he could tell that this boy was considerably bigger than Roman was, bigger than any of our babies. That is what we had prayed for- a nice, big, strong, healthy boy.

As is always the case, I can see how God's timing is perfect, so much better than mine. Four days late meant that Chase had time to put on more fat. He came naturally and in God's timing, so he has been eating well, sleeping well, resting well. He seems to be easing into the schedule I would have tried to set for him anyway. He has waken up each night around 3:45, and only once a night. That is almost 6 hours of sleep from my newborn! The Lord must know I can't handle much more than this. The big kids seem to be acclimating well, even Roman. Today is our first day at home without Daddy's precious help, and I know all things will come in time. But I just thank and praise God for His goodness and provision and perfect timing. I want to enjoy every single moment of the fleeting, sweet newborn days. If you desire to pray for us, please pray for good sleep for baby and mommy, and ease of transition for our family.

Thanks for reading :)


Meg said...

Yay! Congratulations! What a great birth story, even though it took longer than you had wanted. God's timing really is perfect. Yay for fat babies and he is really just beautiful. I love how he is already smiling. Just perfect!

Kessie said...

Oh, congratulations! I wondered how it all went! That's wonderful that you got to labor at home in the quiet before you went to the hospital. And you got there just in time, too! Wow! God's timing is perfect, as always. :-)

Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful birth story!! I love reading about those and I love how God's timing is always perfect. I love that He taught you so much through this birth.
I love that you got to labor at home for so long. Praise God for a healthy baby boy, he is so pretty.

Brandy @ Afterthoughts said...

You know, I really think it was the doughnut that got you going. ;)

Congratulations, my friend. :)

Jill said...

Cute, cute, cute! Great story. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the world, Chase! Love you friend!

Kara Haushalter said...

Aaah! I can't wait to meet Chase!!! Congrats sweet mama!

mrs. owens said...

Hooray for fast labor! What a great reward for the long wait! Love you friend...

mrs. owens said...

Hooray for fast labor! What a great reward for the long wait! Love you friend...


Related Posts with Thumbnails