#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

1930's Quilt


My mother-in-law commissioned me to finish two quilts that her grandmother started. It's so cool to think of ladies in the 30's, sitting around, listening to the radio and hand-quilting together. The patterns that grandmother Grace pieced are so intricately put together. I just stitched in batting and a back piece and then finished it with a border. I have one more left to do. I realize that the pattern looks suspiciously Nazi-esque; however, Suzanne at the best quilting store ever illuminated me: this pattern is called "the Dutchman's Puzzle and Windmill". Ah-ha!

The fabric is almost 80 years old and has pulled and stretched a bit, but overall, it is remarkably well-preserved. Suzanne thought some of the fabric pieces may have been from gunny sacks. I can't wait to finish the second one and give them to my mother-in-law to surprise her mother with this Christmas.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails