#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Monday, September 19, 2011

Deep Nutrition- Part 5

Ladies! Who would like to talk about cellulite?

Me neither, especially with my growing baby body.

But let's do it anyways, shall we? It is absolutely fascinating.

Why do some people develop cellulite and some people don't? Why does it crop up on strange places on the body?  After I had Roman, I decided I would try some P90X yoga to ease back into exercise.  Imagine how motivated I became when whilst in downward dog, I had a close-up of the cellulite on the front of my legs! Not just my thighs, mind you- my shins. How the hell did that get there?

Allow Dr. Shanahan to teach us:

Our skin is generally collagen-rich.  Right under our skin lies three layers of fat- we all have them, no matter what we look like.  These fatty layers contain very little collagen.  In people with cellulite, the fat in the layer right under the surface of the skin produces pro-inflammatory chemicals called cytokines. (my synopsis).

"This weakens the collagen in the skin, literally melting it away to create thin spots in the skin and allowing the fat sitting below it to extrude upward, filling the defects.  The resulting fingers of fat cause the skin to dimple, giving cellulite its lumpy, cottage cheese appearance."

How cool is that? I love the picture of what is physically happening inside our bodies.  Doesn't it make sense when she lays it out?

The silver lining to the cloud is that you can't work out hard enough to get rid of your cellulite.  Huzzah! You can start incorporating traditional, nutrient-dense foods into your diet, though.  And you can quit the cytokine-producing process of consuming sugar and vegetable oils. 

While there are no guarantees that pesky shin-cellulite won't pay me another visit quite soon, it has not bothered to come knocking just yet.  This pregnancy, I eat plenty of eggs, butter, cream-top milk, meat, raw cheese, and bone broths. I have been limiting my sugar and vegetable oils.  It is not hard to do when I am eating all of this delicious, satisfying real food.  But I did make a chocolate pie for company on Friday night, and you can be assured I licked that spatula clean.  But I didn't feel like taking taste after taste..after taste... 80/20, right?

I think pregnancy deserves more like 70/30, but that's just me.

What do you think? Would you rather spend two hours exercising each day or would you rather eat a steak with buttered mushrooms? Or maybe you don't give a rip about cellulite.  In that case, my apologies. :)

1 comment:

Kessie said...

You're pregnant--you can eat what you want to, you can leave your friends behind. *is smacked*

I thought cellulite was plastic that surgeons inject into you. Gee, I guess I should research this. If it gives me an excuse to eat more animal fats, then heck yes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails