#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Friday, August 7, 2009

Over the past few days, I have been thinking more about God's grace- which seems to take my focus off of me. God's Word tells us that "all fall short of the glory of God". I really think I forget this sometimes! I think I am the only one.

Anyway, focusing more on God and less on self is what my Lord desires of me. I am reading a book by one of my favorite authors and speakers, Elyse Fitzpatrick. I just got to hear her teach at the Women Discipling Women conference in July. All attendees were given a copy of her newest book, Comforts from the Cross. Here is a sampling of what I have been reading and thinking about- perfect timing!
"There is a significant difference between conviction brought about by the Spirit and self-condemnation brought about by the Accuser as he acts on my pride. Conviction draws me away from myself and toward God; it frees me to repent, grants me sorrow over offending my King, and floods me with relief in knowing that his smile still rests upon me...Self-condemnation, on the other hand, draws me down into myself and away from God...Jesus slips from preeminence and is replaced by my shattered image of myself...How do we conquer our enemy and his damning accusations? By working hard at being good? Of course no. There is only one way to conquer him, and it's by the blood of the Lamb who was slain expressly for all of our sin. 'Oh, yes', our testimony rings out as our Accuser seeks to flog us with our failures, 'I do sin and sin grievously, but Jesus Christ was slain as a perfect lamb in my place. Thank you for reminding me of my sin because, although it grieves me, it also reminds me to love him more'".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails