#header-inner { margin: auto; }

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nothing Less

What is my hope built upon? Mothers hope that our children behave; we hope that our husbands will help out with the housework when they get home from work; we hope that naptime goes smoothly so that we can complete our list of chores all by ourselves (or, if one is pregnant, so that one can nap- as my friend often says, "Quality of life".)

And if that hope is, perchance, deferred, what happens? Is it our reaction to get discouraged, frustrated, or bitter? Could it be that our hope lies in the wrong things? My hope often lies in my own ability to get things done or have things done for me. Proverbs 24:14 warns us against hoping in the wrong things:

"Know that wisdom is thus for your soul; If you find it then there will be a future, And your hope will not be cut off. Without God’s wisdom which gives God’s hope, your hope will be in the wrong thing and it will be cut off."

Biblical hope is not a flippant emotion or reaction. Biblical hope is rooted in Christ- the hope of heaven, the hope of what we do not see (Rom 8:25). Scriptural hope has the connotation of strong, confident expectation. We do not see what we hope for, but we are confident that God will allow us to receive it. We are confident that we will be fellow citizens of the saints in heaven. We are confident that God will complete a good work in us. We are confident that our God is a living God. What a different mindset our hope takes on as we meditate on these truths!

Here is the passage that got me thinking this morning during my quiet time:

"This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. The Lord's loving kindnesses indeed never cease, for this compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion", says my soul, "therefore I have hope in Him". The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him." Lam: 3:21-25
Every single morning God gives me a new opportunity to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. Since I desire that He and He alone rule my life, He is where my hope lies.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails